All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.83Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.11
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $84.79
- AU $61.22Trending at AU $69.47
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $24.54
- AU $37.91Trending at AU $41.12
About this product
- DescriptionFugitive Slave Advertisements in The City Gazette: Charleston, South Carolina, 1787-1797 is a collection of more than one thousand transcribed advertisements from Charleston's daily newspaper. Each advertisement portrays, in miniature, a human drama of courage and resistance to unjust authority. The advertisements give insight t only into slave resistance, agency, and culture, but also into eighteenth century material life, ecomy, and racial ideology. The ads are also a rich source of data about the individual slaves themselves, their relationships, family connections, and life experiences. The book is accompanied by a website, fugitiveslaves.com. The website allows users to search the results of a comprehensive content analysis of the advertisements.
- Author BiographyThomas Brown is professor of sociology and criminal justice at Virginia Wesleyan College. Leah Sims is an independent scholar of race and gender in American history.
- Author(s)Leah Sims,Thomas Brown
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication08/10/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Weight744 g
- Width159 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine34 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.