Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- DescriptionCombining media effects with aesthetic approaches this book offers the first substantial, systematic and coherent account of fun and its importance. But what exactly is fun and what purposes does it serve? Fun is a vital element of entertainment, and entertainment is the most important form of culture in modern Western democracies. It demonstrates that fun is at the heart of entertainment's effects - entertainment both offers its consumers fun and provides them with the intellectual materials to think about the nature of fun. More than this, the book argues that entertainment shows us that fun - pleasure without purpose - is at the heart of living a good life. Illustrated with detailed examples from entertainment - from the Urban Dictionary to The Simpsons, to the Culture vels of Iain M Banks - this book is intelligent, original, and even (dare we say it) fun.
- Author BiographyAlan McKee is an Associate Dean (Research and Development) at University of Technology Sydney, Australia. His most recent books are Pornography: Structures, Agency and Performance (with Rebecca Sullivan, 2015) and Entertainment Industries: Entertainment as a Cultural System (edited with Christy Collis and Ben Hamley, 2012).
- Author(s)Alan McKee
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication05/11/2015
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Series TitlePalgrave Entertainment Industries
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Pivot
- Content Notebiography
- Weight322 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.