All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.81Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
About this product
- DescriptionThe main purpose of this book is to serve as a university textbook for a first course in astromy. However, we believe that the audience will also include many serious ama- teurs, who often find the popular texts too trivial. The lack of a good handbook for am- ateurs has become a problem lately, as more and more people are buying personal com- puters and need exact, but comprehensible, mathematical formalism for their programs. The reader of this book is assumed to have only a standard high-school kwledge of mathematics and physics (as they are taught in Finland); everything more advanced is usually derived step by step from simple basic principles. The mathematical background needed includes plane trigometry, basic differential and integral calculus, and (only in the chapter dealing with celestial mechanics) some vector calculus. Some mathematical concepts the reader may t be familiar with are briefly explained in the appendices or can be understood by studying the numerous exercises and examples. However, most of the book can be read with very little kwledge of mathematics, and even if the reader skips the mathematically more involved sections, (s)he should get a good overview of the field of astromy. This book has evolved in the course of many years and through the work of several authors and editors. The first version consisted of lecture tes by one of the editors (Oja).
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication18/04/1991
- SubjectAstronomy, Space & Time
- Series TitleSpringer Study Edition
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1330 g
- Width210 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edited byHannu Karttunen,Heikki Oja,Karl Johan Donner,Markku Putanen,Pekka Kroger
- Edition Statement1st ed. 1987. Corr. 2nd printing
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.