All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionBased on an established course and covering the fundamentals, central areas, and contemporary topics of this diverse field, Fundamentals of Condensed Matter Physics is a much-needed textbook for graduate students. The book begins with an introduction to the modern conceptual models of a solid from the points of view of interacting atoms and elementary excitations. It then provides students with a thorough grounding in electronic structure and many-body interactions as a starting point to understand many properties of condensed matter systems - electronic, structural, vibrational, thermal, optical, transport, magnetic and superconducting - and methods to calculate them. Taking readers through the concepts and techniques, the text gives both theoretically and experimentally inclined students the kwledge needed for research and teaching careers in this field. It features 246 illustrations, 9 tables and 100 homework problems, as well as numerous worked examples, for students to test their understanding. Solutions to the problems for instructors are available at www.cambridge.org/cohenlouie.
- Author BiographyMarvin L. Cohen is University Professor of Physics at the University of California, Berkeley, and Senior Faculty Scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. His research covers a broad spectrum of subjects in theoretical condensed matter physics. He is an elected member of the National Academy of Sciences, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and the American Philosophical Society. He has received numerous awards, including the US National Medal of Science, the Buckley Prize and the Lilienfeld Prize of the American Physical Society, the von Hippel Award of the Materials Research Society, and the Dickson Prize in Science. He has received honorary degrees from the University of Montreal, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and the Weizmann Institute of Science. He is a past President of the American Physical Society. Steven G. Louie is Professor of Physics at the University of California, Berkeley, and Senior Faculty Scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. His research spans a broad spectrum of topics in theoretical condensed matter physics and nanoscience. He is an elected member of the National Academy of Sciences and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and an academician of the Academia Sinica of the Republic of China, Taiwan. He has won numerous awards and prizes for his work, including the Rahman Prize and the Davisson-Germer Prize of the American Physical Society, the Materials Theory Award of the Materials Research Society, and the Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics Award of the US Department of Energy. He and Marvin L. Cohen shared the Foresight Institute Richard P. Feynman Prize in Nanotechnology (Theory).
- Author(s)Marvin L. Cohen,Steven G. Louie
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication26/05/2016
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note246 b/w illus. 9 tables 100 exercises
- Weight1160 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.