All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.40Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
About this product
- DescriptionFundamentals of Ecological Modelling: Applications in Environmental Management and Research, Fourth Edition, provides a comprehensive discussion of the fundamental principles of ecological modeling. The first two editions of this book (published in 1986 and 1994) focused on the roots of the discipline the four main model types that dominated the field 30-40 years ago: (1) dynamic biogeochemical models; (2) population dynamic models; (3) ecotoxicological models; and (4) steady-state biogeochemical and energy models. The third edition focused on the mathematical formulations of ecological processes that are included in ecological models. This fourth edition uses the four model types previously listed as the foundation and expands the latest model developments in spatial models, structural dynamic models, and individual-based models. As these seven types of models are very different and require different considerations in the model development phase, a separate chapter is devoted to the development of each of the model types. Throughout the text, the examples given from the literature emphasize the application of models for environmental management and research.
- Author BiographyBrian D. Fath is Associate Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences at Towson University (MD, USA). He teaches courses in ecosystem ecology, environmental biology, networks, and human ecology and sustainability. Dr. Fath has also taught short-courses on ecological modelling in Portugal, Croatia, and Denmark. Since 2002, he is a regular summer research scientist at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (Austria). Dr. Fath graduated in 1990 from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Physics and Aeronautics. He completed an M.S. degree in Environmental Science at Ohio State University (1993) and earned a Ph.D. in Ecology from the University of Georgia in 1998. He was a Post-Doctoral Fellow at the University of Georgia (1998-2000) and the U.S. EPA in Cincinnati (2000-2001). Dr. Fath researches system sustainability using ecological network analysis, integrated environmental assessment, and information theory. He has published research papers in Journal of Theoretical Biology, Ecological Modelling, Biosystems, Ecological Complexity, Environmental Modelling and Software, and Ecosystems. He has co-authored the book A New Ecology: Systems Perspective. Professional Service includes: Associate Editor for the journal Ecological Modelling (since 2005), Associate Editor-in-chief for the Encyclopedia of Ecology, President, North American Chapter of International Society for Ecological Modelling (since 2006), Editorial Board, The Scientific World Journal (2001-present), Editorial Board, International Journal of Ecodynamics (2004-present), Board of Directors, International Environmental Modelling and Software Society (2004-present), Baltimore County Commission on Environmental Quality (2005-present).
- Author(s)Brian Fath,S. E. Jorgensen
- PublisherElsevier Science & Technology
- Date of Publication28/02/2011
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleDevelopments in Environmental Modelling
- Series Part/Volume Number21
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintElsevier Science Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight890 g
- Width197 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement4th Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.