Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.55
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
About this product
- DescriptionOnly our limited idea of money is keeping us poor. David Boyle introduces us to alternative cash and people who can conjure money - that is, spending power - out of thing. Until recently, the growth of alternative cash had been the province of big business: phone cards, stamps, air miles and Tesco's clubcard points all have purchasing power, yet are t cash as we kw it. Now, locally created money systems like 'time dollars', 'Womanshare' and 'Ithaca hours' are being invented by communities for communities. With clarity and great humour, Boyle tells the story of this extraordinary revolution: he travels to the USA to visit the people behind local money systems; relates their vision of the future; and describes how to set up your own currency. This is dry theoretical tome: Boyle writes about his subject in a way that is concrete, illuminating, often very funny and always highly readable. This paperback edition includes a new epilogue with an update on the latest alternative currency ideas: 'You just have to cast doubt on the real existence of the money markets and they could just shrivel away. Anything could happen.' A revolution is underway w: this book tells the story of its leaders and the ideas that inspired them.
- Author BiographyDavid Boyle is a journalist and alternative economist who has been writing about new ideas in economics in the New Statesman, Guardian and European for more than a decade. He is the editor of New Economics magazine and presenter of Channel Four's Worldwise Reports and BBC2's Midnight Hour.
- Author(s)David Boyle
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication21/02/2000
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight120 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.