Funny Things Can Happen on Your Way Through the Bible: Scriptural Oddities and Odd Thoughts about Them in a Book of More Rhyme Than Reason by Charles D Barrett (Paperback / softback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $75.29+ AU $7.50 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $57.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
About this product
- DescriptionDescription: Proceeding from Voltaire's conclusion that God is a comedian playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh, this book seeks to uncover some of the many instances in which biblical texts offer readers grace and insight through the divine gifts of humor, wit, and laughter. Readers are invited to take a strikingly unusual, if t unique, approach to the texts, imagining t only the voice inflections but also the body language of their narrators to capture the humorous nuances and ripples of laughter that likely attended the first telling of many biblical stories. Endorsements: Proceeding from Voltaire's conclusion that God is a comedian playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh, this book seeks to uncover some of the many instances in which biblical texts offer readers grace and insight through the divine gifts of humor, wit, and laughter. Readers are invited to take a strikingly unusual, if t unique, approach to the texts, imagining t only the voice inflections but also the body language of the original narrators in hopes ofpiercing the sound and sight barriers that stifle the humorous nuances and ripples of laughter that very likely attended the first telling of many a biblical story. If you ever wondered what the Bible would sound like if it were written by Ogden Nash (and who hasn't?) here it is, Charlie Barrett's religious rhymes. -William H. Willimon, distinguished theologian, churchman, and author, in the Foreword As one who undertook a study of biblical humor a half-century ago at Yale, I am immensely gratified to read the delightful work of my colleague Charles Barrett found here. Seeking to enhance the theological message of Scripture by focusing on the dimension of humor, he has recast many of its stories in rhyme, clarifying their theological implications and touching base with the greatest Christian theologians. In this he goes far beyond earlier treatments of the topic by such writers as Elton Trueblood, Webb Garrison, and Jacob Klausner. Barrett's book is unique. It will be a boon to all who preach, teach, and write in the light of Scripture. -John M. Bullard, Ph.D., Albert C. Outler Professor emeritus of Religion, Wofford College With wit and wisdom, Charlie Barrett invites us to think deeply and laugh joyfully as he unveils the humor that abounds in Scripture and the God who laughs. His impish chrymes are mirrors that help us see ourselves for the clowns we are and experience the grace of the Christ who smiles. This fresh approach to The Good Book reveals the playful God who encourages us with love and hope. It will change the way I read the Bible. -Marshall L. Meadors, Bishop emeritus, Jackson Area, the United Methodist Church About the Contributor(s): Charles D. Barrett is Peter B. Hendrix Professor emeritus of Religion, at Wofford College. He is the author of Understanding the Christian Faith (1980) and God Under Our Skin: A Search for the Theological Jesus (2006).
- Author(s)Charles D Barrett
- PublisherWipf & Stock Publishers
- Date of Publication01/04/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationEugene
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWipf & Stock Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Foreword byWilliam H Willimon
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.