All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionIn the 1990s U.S. and British adaptations of Jane Austen vels enjoyed unprecedented popularity. To find out why, one has to revise and go beyond what has dominated in the discussion of these films: the fidelity-to-the-vel-discourse and the influence-of-national-cinema-discourse. Thus, in this book film theory, film history, various kinds of film analysis (structural, feminist, Marxist) and literary analysis are combined. From these angles, the 1990s and previous Austen films are studied and compared, two of them in detail: the 1995 U.S. feature film Sense and Sensibility and the 1995 British telefilm Persuasion. This analysis shows: the 1990s Austen films, though reflecting certain features of British and Hollywood cinema and t greatly deviating from the vels, are independent works of art; also, they are products of their time, displaying, for instance, a liberal feminist attitude and criticism of class distinctions.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Martina Anzinger was born in 1975 in Linz, Austria. She finished her studies in English and American Studies/French (for teachers) at the University of Vienna, Austria, in 2001 and her studies in Political Science/Media and Communication in 2002. The trimester 1998 to 1999 was spent abroad for studies in English Literature and Linguistics, History, and Political Science at Royal Holloway University in Surrey, England. From September 2002 on, she attends a one-year post-graduate course in journalism at the University of Westminster in London, England.
- Author(s)Martina Anzinger
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/02/2003
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleEuropaische Hochschulschriften Reihe 14: Angelsachsische Sprache und Literatur
- Series Part/Volume Number397
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight320 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.