All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis last decade has witnessed a revolution in our observations of galaxies; in particular deep imaging with HST and spectroscopy with 10m-class ground-based telescopes have uncovered many objects that are difficult to place along the Hubble sequence. High resolution spectroscopy of extremely faint objects has enabled the study of the kinematic evolution and, hence, the mass assembly of galaxies to unprecedented look-back times for direct comparison with cosmological structure formation scenarios. Thus, it is w possible to study all three aspects of galaxy evolution - their morphological-dynamical, chemical and spectral evolution out to redshift larger than six, exploring more than 95% of the age of the universe. These Proceedings of the IAU Symposium 235 report the considerable progress made in recent years on galaxy formation and evolution, and look forward to the expected breakthroughs in the domain of remote galaxies, with ALMA, the ELT and the next generation space telescopes.
- Author BiographyFrancoise Combes is a senior astronomer at Observatoire de Paris. She is an expert on the dynamics and interactions of galaxies. Jan Palous is a professor at the Astronomical Institute, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic. His research interests include galactic evolution, star formation and the interstellar medium.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication17/05/2007
- SubjectAstronomy, Space & Time
- Series TitleProceedings of the International Astronomical Union Symposia and Colloquia
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 235
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note260 b/w illus. 40 tables
- Weight1082 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byFrancoise Combes,Jan Palous
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.81Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.