All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn early August 1915, after months of stalemate in the trenches on Gallipoli, British and Dominion troops launched a series of assaults in an all-out attempt to break the deadlock and achieve a decisive victory. The 'August offensive' resulted in heartbreaking failure and costly losses on both sides. Many of the sites of the bloody struggle became famous names: Lone Pine, the Nek, Chunuk Bair, Hill 60, Suvla Bay. Debate has continued to the present day over the strategy and planning, the real or illusory opportunities for success, and the causes of failure in what became the last throw of the dice for the Allies. This revised edition, which includes strength and casualty data compiled from official sources, arises out of a major international conference at the Australian War Memorial in 2010 to mark the 95th anniversary of the Gallipoli campaign. Keyte speaker Professor Robin Prior led a range of international authorities from Australia, New Zealand, Britain, France, Germany, India and Turkey to present their most recent research findings. The result was significant: never before had such a range of views been presented, with fresh German and Turkish perspectives offered alongside those of British and Australasian historians. For the resulting book, the text has been augmented with soldiers' letters and diary accounts, as well as a large number of photographs and maps.
- Author BiographyAshley Ekins is Head of the Military History Section at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. He specialises in the history of the First World War and the Vietnam War. He has published widely, including the volume he compiled and edited, 1918 Year of Victory: The end of the Great War and the shaping of history (Exisle 2010), and War Wounds: Medicine and the trauma of conflict (Exisle 2011), which he co-edited with Elizabeth Stewart.
- PublisherExisle Publishing
- Date of Publication01/04/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationWoolombi
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2013
- ImprintExisle Publishing
- Content Notemaps, index, biography
- Weight904 g
- Width184 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byAshley Ekins
- Format DetailsSewn
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.16
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $32.98Trending at AU $40.00
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.