All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $96.58
About this product
- DescriptionAuthentic diversions from Jane Austen's time to the Gilded Age. A quiet and challenging pastime, it is t surprising that games of solitaire remain among the most popular played with traditional cards. Like curling up with a great book, millions of people around the world find relaxation and amusement through testing their wits against chance and probability using one or two packs of playing cards. Games of Patience or Solitaire with Cards , originally published in 1884, was the first book to popularize solitaire in America. Many of the games featured in this book will t be familiar to most card enthusiasts and the creativity and challenges they require will immediately hook the solitaire devotee. Here readers can recreate intriguing and highly satisfying games from the past, whose names alone provide a colourful glimpse into history: Napoleon's Favourite, The Sultan of Turkey, The Zodiac, The Besieged City, St. Louis, The Congress, and Light and Shade. With each game fully illustrated and explained, this charming book is sure to delight all those who find solitaire to be a favourite diversion and to gain new converts to a pastime which requires expensive equipment, special space, opponents, but significant brainpower. Long considered one of the foundation books of solitaire, this is the first time Games of Patience or Solitaire with Cards is available as a trade paperback.
- Author BiographyWILLIAM B. DICK was a prolific author of non-fiction books offering practical advice and information to the nineteenth-century public
- Author(s)William B. Dick
- PublisherWestholme Publishing, U.S.
- Date of Publication01/11/2005
- SubjectHobbies, Pastimes & Indoor Games
- Place of PublicationYardley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWestholme Publishing, U.S.
- Content Note52 illustrations
- Weight209 g
- Width146 mm
- Height184 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.