All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.23
About this product
- DescriptionFor decades, gangs have been emerging across the globe, disrupting citizen security, the rule of law, health and education, and local ecomies. The Caribbean, like many other regions, has a significant gang problem. Unfortunately, however, there has been limited academic attention given to the issue. Gangs in the Caribbean is intended fill this gap by providing sound research conducted by leading Caribbean crimilogists that encourages thoughtful and data driven discussions between researchers and policymakers. The book is broken into two sections. Section one focuses on the scope and nature of the Caribbean gang problem. It t only provides a cutting edge description of the Caribbean's gang problem but it also details differences between organized crime groups and street gangs, and how these differences impact the types of problems that communities face. Section two focuses on policies and programmes that have been designed and implemented to respond to Caribbean gangs, as well as what we have learned about them in terms of their effectiveness and unintended consequences. In doing so Gangs in the Caribbean provides researchers, policymakers, and students with a foundation of kwledge on a core issue confronting the Caribbean and provides these readers with a clear road map for responding to gangs in the future.
- Author BiographyAnthony Harriott is Professor of Political Sociology and Director of the Institute of Criminal Justice and Security, University of the West Indies, Jamaica. His publications include Organized Crime and Politics in Jamaica: Breaking the Nexus and Police and Crime Control in Jamaica: Problems of Reforming Ex-Colonial Constabularies. Charles Katz is Professor, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Arizona State University, USA.
- PublisherUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Date of Publication28/02/2015
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationKingston
- Country of PublicationJamaica
- ImprintUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight531 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byAnthony Harriott,Charles Katz
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.