Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionEcomic and social change on both sides of the Atlantic saw a sharp rise in gang-related crime at the beginning of the 20th century. Crimes of the Century - Gangsters takes a compelling look at the dark underbelly of society where bootlegging, robbery, crime sprees, threats and corruption were part of everyday life. Throughout all levels of society, the activities of gangsters was rife and many of those involved in organised crime also had long-standing connections with those in authority across banking, finance, businesses, government departments, the legal system and police. Al Capone is perhaps the most infamous gangster and he paid more than $75 million dollars a year to bribe politicians and the police in order to maintain his illegal empire. Making sales of $60 million a year from the sale of illegal alcohol alone, following the 18th Amendment that banned the sale, transportation and manufacture of alcohol in the United States, Capone considered the bribery a worthwhile investment. This book features some of the torious individuals who ruled through fear and examines the background behind their criminal empires. The fact that these organised criminals became part of the modern cult of celebrity while their crimes became table is fascinating and incredible.
- Author BiographyClaire Welch is the author of numerous non-fiction books including biographies on Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe and Charlie Chaplin, as well as books about the natural world and history. A classical musician, Claire also works as Publisher for the Academy of Contemporary Music. She is married with two young sons. Ian Welch is the author of numerous non-fiction books covering genres as diverse as sport, music, cold-blooded killers and historical publications on various aspects of the First and Second World Wars.
- Author(s)Claire Welch,Ian Welch
- PublisherHaynes Publishing Group
- Date of Publication27/06/2012
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Series TitleCrimes of the Century
- Place of PublicationSomerset
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJ H Haynes & Co Ltd
- Content Note40 illustrations
- Weight181 g
- Width128 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.