All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.06
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.78
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.44
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.49
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $30.84Trending at AU $33.28
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1977, the Gardzienice Theatre Association, an experimental theatre company was founded in a tiny Polish village. By 1992 The Observer was hailing Brilliant Gardzienice...and orgy of joy, anguish, prayer and lamentation performed in candlelight with hurtling energy and at breakneck speed...Physically reckless, thrillingly well sung...On account to be missed. Today the Gardzienice Theatre Association is hailed as Poland's leading theatre group, training Royal Shakespeare Company actors and touring the world. Paul Allain describes and analyses their sung performances, strenuous physical and vocal training, and anthropological fieldwork amongst marginalized European mirities. This is one of the first detailed attempts to assess developments in Polish experimental theatres since 1989. The author questions whether those artists can maintain their vision in the face of Poland's ecomic difficulties and increased commercialization of the arts.
- Author BiographyPaul Allain is a lecturer in Drama and Theatre Arts at Goldsmiths College, University of London. As a movement director he has collaborated with Katie Mitchell for many years and has trained actors at the Royal Shakespeare and Royal National Theatre companies for productions including The Dybbuk, Ghosts, Rutherford and Sons, The Machine-Wreckers and Henry IV Part 3. His own company, Bodywork, had its premiere at Sadler's Wells' Mosaics Festival in 1996. Dr Allain is co-editor with Professor Vera Gottlieb of the forthcoming Cambridge Companion to Chekhov.
- Author(s)Paul Allain
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/02/1998
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.