Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.58Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
About this product
- DescriptionWhile the gastrointestinal tract ingests, digests, and absorbs nutrients, the liver transforms nutrients, synthesizes plasma proteins, and detoxifies bacteria and toxins absorbed from the gut. It is therefore t surprising that gastrointestinal and hepatic diseases have a major impact on the nutritional state of the individual. Integrating nutrition and the gastrointestinal system, the Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease Nutrition Desk Reference brings together experts in the field of nutrition, gastroenterology, and hepatology to offer dietary, nutritional, and natural therapies for gastrointestinal and hepatic ailments in order to improve overall health. Providing a review of the digestive tract, liver, and core concepts, this important reference presents the nutritional consequences and considerations of digestive disorders. Contributors examine the role of nutrition in gastrointestinal and liver disease, including alcoholic and nalcoholic liver disease, viral hepatitis, cirrhosis, malabsorption, colorectal disease, transplantation, pancreatitis, and inflammatory bowel disease. Of special interest to the practitioner are chapters on food allergy and intolerance, the effects of medicinal plants, and the role of fiber in the gastrointestinal tract. The reference also addresses the challenges of managing nutritional issues for hospitalized patients and covers eating disorders and ethical issues. Other key topics include: * Obesity * Clinical applications of probiotics * The impact of micronutrient deficiencies * Gemic applications for gastrointestinal care * Drug-drug and drug-nutrient interactions * Guidelines for performing a nutrition assessment This comprehensive reference offers a toolbox of key concepts, charts, tables, algorithms, and practical therapeutic strategies for practitioners involved in gastrointestinal and hepatic nutrition care. Dr. Mullin maintains a website discussing the integration of both Eastern and Western (conventional) medicines to help patients overcome their digestive illnesses.
- Author BiographyGerard E. Mullin, MD, is an associate professor in the department of medicine as well as director of integrative gastroenterology nutrition services at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. He is an internist, gastroenterologist, and nutritionist and the only physician in the United States who is board certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine for Gastroenterology, National Board of Nutrition Support Certification, American College of Nutrition, and the American Board of Nutrition Physician Specialists. Laura E. Matarese, PhD, RD, LDN, FADA, CNSD, is an assistant professor of surgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and director of nutrition for the Intestinal Rehabilitation and Transplantation Center at the Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. She is the author of over 150 books, chapters, manuscripts, abstracts, and videos and currently serves on the editorial boards of several journals. Melissa Palmer, MD, is medical director of hepatology at New York University Hepatology Associates Plainview and clinical professor of medicine at NYU Langone Medical Center. She graduated from Columbia University with a BA and was trained in hepatology at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City. She is the author of the best-selling book Dr. Melissa Palmer's Guide to Hepatitis and Liver Disease and runs the popular liver website www.liverdisease.com.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication15/06/2010
- SubjectMedicine: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note59 black & white illustrations, 111 black & white tables
- Weight1088 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byGerard E. Mullin,Laura E. Matarese,Melissa Palmer
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.