All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGazala was Rommel's greatest victory in World War II (1939-1945). After a period of stalemate in the desert war, during which both the British Eighth Army and the Afrika Korps had rested and regrouped, he carried out a daring flanking movement around the strong Allied defensive position. The British command could t match Rommel's masterly co-ordination of armor, artillery and infantry, even when encircled in an area that became kwn as the Cauldron, and his outstanding generalship and a timely break-through by his Italian troops enabled him to win a clear victory after 16 days of fierce fighting. However, although the strategically important town of Tobruk quickly fell, Gazala was actually a high-water mark and failure to break the British at Alam Halfa two months later was followed by defeat for the over-extended Afrika Korps by the greatly strengthened Eighth Army at El Alamein. In this important addition to the Campaign series' coverage of the North African desert war, regular contributor Ken Ford vividly portrays the Desert Fox at the height of his powers.
- Author BiographyKen Ford was born in Hampshire in 1943. He trained as an engineer and spent almost thirty years in the telecommunications industry before a change in career led him to become a full time military historian. He is the author of over twenty books on various aspects of World War II including Campaign 158 El Alamein. Ken now lives in Southampton, UK. The author lives in Southampton, UK.John White is a commercial illustrator with many years' experience of working with advertising agencies, design firms, publishers and large corporate accounts. He has received awards from The Broadcast Design Association and The National Naval Aviation Museum, and his paintings have appeared in Aviation Art magazine, Aviation History magazine, and on the History Channel. John White lives in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Author(s)Ken Ford
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication07/05/2008
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleCampaign
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.), maps
- Weight350 g
- Width184 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine8 mm
Most relevant reviews
- chrismic22au06 Jul, 2017by
Interesting with great information!
The Campaign 196 Gazala 1942 this was Rommel's greatest victory and a outstanding paperback! This is written by Ken Ford you are told about the campaign with maps and plenty of black & white photos of the battle. Also he deals with the aftermath of the battle and the retreat to Alamein!
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.81Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12