All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Geis' is a word from Irish mythology meaning a supernatural taboo or injunction on behaviour. In her long-awaited third collection, Catriona O'Reilly examines the 'geis' in all of its psychological, emotional, and moral suggestiveness: exploring the prohibitions and compulsions under which we sometimes place ourselves, or find ourselves placed. In poems that range from the searingly personal to the more playfully abstract and philosophical, O'Reilly's characteristic imaginative range and linguistic verve are everywhere in evidence. These are poems that question our sometimes tenuous links with the world, with others, and even with ourselves, but which ultimately celebrate the richness of experience and the power of language to affirm it. Geis is Caitriona O'Reilly's third collection, following her critically acclaimed earlier books, The Nowhere Birds (2001), shortlisted for the Forward Prize for Best First Collection and winner of the Rooney Prize for Irish Literature, and The Sea Cabinet (2006), a Poetry Book Society Recommendation.
- Author BiographyCatriona OReilly was born Dublin in 1973, grew up in Wicklow and Dublin, and now lives in Lincoln. She studied archaeology and English at Trinity College Dublin, and later held the Harper-Wood Studentship from St John's College, Cambridge. Her first collection The Nowhere Birds (Bloodaxe Books, 2001) was shortlisted for the Forward Prize for Best First Collection, and won the Rooney Prize for Irish Literature. Her second collection, The Sea Cabinet (Bloodaxe Books, 2006), was a Poetry Book Society Recommendation and was shortlisted for the Irish Times Poetry Now Award in 2007. Her third collection, Geis, is published by Bloodaxe in May 2015. She is a freelance writer and critic, and edited several recent issues of Poetry Ireland Review.
- Author(s)Caitriona O'Reilly
- PublisherBloodaxe Books Ltd
- Date of Publication21/05/2015
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationTyne and Wear
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloodaxe Books Ltd
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine6 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.26
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $21.24
- AU $43.67Trending at AU $44.49
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.15
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $73.39
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $76.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.