All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
About this product
- DescriptionGender, Race, and Sudan's Exile Politics examines the gendered and racialized discourses and practices of the Sudanese opposition in exile through the opposition movements of the 1990s and early 2000s, and discusses the history through which these discourses evolved. The military coup that brought the National Islamic Front (NIF)-w National Congress Party (NCP)- to power in 1989 t only forced most political parties, trade unions, and activists in Sudan into either exile politics or underground activism; it also urged many of Sudan's political forces and activists to rethink the meaning of belonging and of the Old Sudan. In the mid-1990s, this involved a rethinking of the relationship between religion and politics, ackwledging Sudan's diversity, ackwledging the need to restructure Sudan's ecomy and politics to ensure equal access and participation for the historically marginalized, and committing to self-determination for the people of South Sudan. The concept of the New Sudan broadly captured this rethinking. This book interrogates the relationship between women's organizations and activisms in exile on one hand, and nationalist, transformative, and other political movements and processes on the other. It further discuses transnational coalition building across difference, including racial difference, between women's organization seeking to transform gender relations in Sudan and South Sudan.
- Author BiographyNada Mustafa Ali is faculty fellow in the Center for Governance and Sustainability at the University of Massachusetts, Boston.
- Author(s)Nada Mustafa Ali
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication29/07/2015
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Content Note2 black & white halftones
- Weight481 g
- Width162 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.