All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.09
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.44
About this product
- DescriptionGender, Religion and Migration is the first multidisciplinary collection on the intersection of gender and religion in the integration of different groups of immigrants, migrant workers, youths, and students in host societies in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and North America. It investigates the linkages and tensions between religion and integration from a gendered perspective. By examining the contemporary significance of religion in the context of global migrations, the fifteen research-based essays provide new insights and perspectives on the often missed link between the differing ways in which male and female immigrants find meanings of faith-beliefs and religious traditions to belong in foreign lands, even residents' faith-based activism involving illegal migrants. While religion provides mechanisms for negotiating immigrant life in the host countries, it also inhibits integration of immigrants especially in countries where the majority religion is different. This dual phemen of religion promoting and inhibiting integration is critically examined in the lives of Filipis, Brazilians, Indians, Polish, Mexicans, Vietnamese, Kenyans, Nigerians, and Middle Eastern peoples. The book also engages various theories on gender, religion and migration and demonstrates the fluidity of gender construction as people cross borders.
- Author BiographyGlenda Tibe Bonifacio is assistant professor of women's studies at University of Lethbridge. Vivienne SM. Angeles is assistant professor of religion at La Salle University and co-editor of Identity in Crossroads Civilisations: Ethnicity, Nationalism and Globalism in Asia.
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication19/08/2011
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight467 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byGlenda Tibe Bonifacio,Vivienne S. M. Angeles
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.