All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $88.03
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.76
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.44
About this product
- DescriptionThis book brings together a number of ground-breaking essays that explore the interface of language and gender-consciousness in foundation texts of Judaism and Christianity. Using critical perspectives that derive from a feminist revaluation of traditional religious discourse, the contributors to this volume address basic questions of meaning and interpretive freedom that are integral to a contemporary reading of Scripture and liturgy. They raise such issues as the relevance of a liturgical tradition in which the Deity is addressed in exclusively masculine terms, and the continued viability of scriptural texts that reflect consistently androcentric values. In each of these essays the authors can be seen to respond to the challenge of the feminist critique of patriarchalism in the Western religious tradition, as well as to the perceived need, within contemporary Judaism and Christianity, for new interpretive models for the reading of sacred texts.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Dr. Robert Platzner is an Emeritus Professor of Humanities and Religious Studies at California State University, Sacramento. He is the author of numerous articles on literary and religious subjects.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/01/2005
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleReligions and Discourse
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 13
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight250 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byRobert L. Platzner
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.