Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.74
- AU $28.60Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $70.29Trending at AU $77.45
- AU $74.01Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
About this product
- DescriptionGender and Social Hierarchies offers a fresh and coherent picture of applied research from within social psychology on the intricate relationship between gender and social status. It comprises a collection of invative approaches which seek to understand the pervasiveness of status asymmetry between gender categories. Drawing upon recent theoretical advances in gender psychology, the book provides tools for developing practical and political recommendations to address and resolve status inequality today. Each chapter examines a different aspect of the impact that gender-based social hierarchies have on people's lives. Part One explores the consequences of gender stereotypes in school, higher education, and in professional settings. The struggles faced by women in the workplace are discussed in Part Two, featuring topics such as work-life balance, the 'glass cliff', and the lack of support for affirmative action. Part Three is devoted to the antecedents and consequences of gender-based forms of prejudice, such as discrimination against gay men, and against women within cultural mirities. The book concludes with some practical suggestions for working towards lasting and beneficial change. Gender and Social Hierarchies will appeal to scholars and students across the social sciences and offers important insights to practitioners and policy-makers.
- Author BiographyKlea Faniko is Senior Researcher, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, University of Geneva, Switzerland. Fabio Lorenzi-Cioldi is Full Professor of Social Psychology, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, University of Geneva, Switzerland. Oriane Sarrasin is Postdoctoral Researcher, NCCR LIVES, Institute of Social Sciences, Faculty of Social and Political Sciences, University of Lausanne, Switzerland. Eric Mayor is Senior Researcher and Lecturer, Institute of Work and Organizational Psychology, University of Neuchatel, Switzerland.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/11/2015
- SubjectPsychology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note29 black & white illustrations, 16 black & white tables, 13 black & white line drawings
- Weight453 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byEric Mayor,Fabio Lorenzi-Cioldi,Klea Faniko,Oriane Sarrasin
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.