All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionKey Concepts in Philosophy is a series of concise, accessible and engaging introductions to the core ideas and subjects encountered in the study of philosophy. Specially written to meet the needs of students and those with an interest in, but little prior kwledge of, philosophy, these books open up fascinating, yet sometimes difficult ideas. The series builds to give a solid grounding in philosophy and each book is also ideal as a companion to further study. Gender: Key Concepts in Philosophy provides clear and comprehensive exposition and analysis of the main philosophical theories, ideas and arguments that inform, and are raised by, questions of gender and sexuality. It explores both early feminist arguments, which stress 'sameness' between sexes in the interests of equality, and later theories, which emphasise difference. It raises the question of how succesfully feminist theory has negotiated the relationship between gender, race and class. The text looks at how Marxist and psychoanalytic theory help to articulate feminist theory and also at how they might inhibit it. It also explores the ways in which the approaches of Foucault and Derrida have been taken up by feminist philosophy to reformulate questions of power and ideology. Finally it addresses contemporary questions of sexuality, transgender and techlogy, and how these require a reworking of traditional feminist theory. Philosophy undergraduates will find this an invaluable aid to study, one that goes beyond simple definitions and summaries to really open up fascinating and important ideas and arguments.
- Author BiographyTina Chanter is Professor of Philosophy at DePaul Unversity, USA.
- Author(s)Tina Chanter
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication30/11/2006
- Series TitleKey Concepts in Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight220 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.