Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.18
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $105.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.32
About this product
- DescriptionFrom classical times to the twentieth century, Gender in World History is a fascinating exploration of what happens to established ideas about men and women, and their roles, when difficult cultural systems come into contact. Significant issues have been the impact of new religious ideas, the results of colonial conquest and, in modern times, the role of international organizations and global consumerism. World history and women's history are both growing and exciting fields. However they have, until w, been toriously difficult to put together. This book breaks new ground to facilitate a consistent approach to gender in a world history context. From the many case studies across different societies and periods, examples include: * the impact of Islam and Middle-Eastern gender practices on India and sub-Saharan Africa * the results of new contacts with China on conditions for women in Japan and among the Mongols * European colonial influences on the Americas, India, Africa and Pacific Oceania * the impact of international influences on the twentieth century Middle East. Gender in World History explores continuities, change and patterns over time. It provides a distinctive approach to the explorations of historical meanings of femininity and masculinity, as well as a contribution to world history itself.
- Author(s)Peter N. Stearns
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication14/09/2000
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleThemes in World History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight396 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.