All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy, despite the number of high profile female rock musicians, does rock continue to be understood as masculine? Why is rock generally assumed to be created and performed by men? Marion Leonard explores different representations of masculinity offered by, and performed through, rock music, and examines how female rock performers negotiate this gendering of rock as masculine. A major concern of the book is t specifically with men or with women performing rock, but with how tions of gender affect the everyday experiences of all rock musicians within the context of the music industry. Leonard addresses core issues relating to gender, rock and the music industry through a case study of 'female-centred' bands from the UK and US performing so called 'indie rock' from the 1990s to the present day. Using original interview material with both amateur and internationally rewned musicians, the book further addresses the fact that the voices of musicians have often been absent from music industry studies. Leonard's central aim is to progress from feminist scholarship that has documented and explored the experience of female musicians, to presenting an analytic discussion of gender and the music industry. In this way, the book engages directly with a number of under-researched areas: the impact of gender on the everyday life of performing musicians; gendered attitudes in music journalism, promotion and production; the responses and strategies developed by female performers; the feminist network riot grrrl and the succession of international festivals it inspired under the name of Ladyfest.
- Author BiographyMarion Leonard is Lecturer at the Institute of Popular Music, University of Liverpool, UK.
- Author(s)Marion Leonard
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/07/2007
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleAshgate Popular and Folk Music Series
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 9 b&w illustrations
- Weight478 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Series Edited byProfessor Derek B. Scott,Professor Lori Burns,Professor Stan Hawkins
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.