All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMedical student turned professional soldier David S. Stanley offered forty years of service to his country on the western frontier and during the Civil War. He participated in some of most important Civil War battles, including the Battle of Iuka, the Battle of Corinth, the Battle of Stones Rivers, the Battle of Resaca, the Battle of Spring Hill, and the Battle of Franklin. He was awarded the Medal of Hor for his actions at Franklin where he was shot while rallying his troops. Stanley was a complex individual who showed concern for his soldiers and ferocity in battle. As Rosecrans' chief of cavalry, he deserves much credit for making the Union cavalry an important and daunting power in the Western Theater. He also commanded the IV Army Corps at the end of the war. Stanley was a formidable adversary of his enemies and he clashed with William T. Sherman, Jacob Cox and William B. Hazen. This biography covers t only his military career but also his personal life, including his conversion to Roman Catholicism and problem with alcohol.
- Author Biography<b>Dennis W. Belcher</b> has edited or authored five previous books on the Civil War and has published in the <i>North & South</i> magazine, and made many presentations on aspects of the Civil War. He lives in Jefferson City, Missouri.
- Author(s)Dennis W Belcher
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/05/2014
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Noteillustrations (black and white), maps (black and white)
- Weight499 g
- Width175 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine18 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $38.02
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.