All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDespite its uncertain start the F-111 proved to be one of the most successful and influential designs of the 1960s. Its radical 'swing wing' was adopted by the F-14 Tomcat, Panavia Tornado and Rockwell B-1B Lancer while its turbofan-type engines became standard in many combat aircraft. F-111 crews pioneered tactics using terrain-following and laser targeting devices that made the F-15E Eagle's missions possible. Its 4,000 low-altitude penetration missions during Operation Linebacker in Vietnam showed how individual aircraft can deliver crippling blows to enemy capability without loss to themselves. The recent retirement of the F-111 from Australian service appears to have created a surge of interest in the type, which hasn't been featured in previous Osprey works.
- Author BiographyPeter E Davies has written or co-written nine books on modern American combat aircraft, including the standard reference work on US Navy and Marine Corps Phantom II operations, Gray Ghosts. He is based in Bristol, UK.
- Author(s)Peter E. Davies
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication07/10/2013
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleAir Vanguard
- Series Part/Volume Number10
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content Note15 b/w; 42 col
- Weight227 g
- Width184 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Illustrator(s)Henry Morshead,Adam Tooby
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.