All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.39Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $22.13Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
About this product
- DescriptionThe present volume includes the large majority of papers given at the symposium entitled Fundamental Approaches to Plant and Animal Improvement, held at Cali, Colombia, in November, 1972. The primary focal points were on various genetic mechanisms, including gene action and mutation, the development of phetypic attributes, and on evolution, including that controlled by man for agricultural purposes. In fact, very little referring in any particular way to animal improvement was included, while a great deal of attention was paid to higher plants and to microorganisms. On the other hand, both the population genetics of insects and insect control were considered. Thus Genes, Enzymes, and Populations, the title given to this published work, seems to me to represent somewhat more fairly the contents than does the original symposium title. Given the intent of the symposium, which is expressed in the original title, the published record cant be expected to be a neatly packaged presentation of some highly defined subject matter. Indeed the diverse subjects represent some, but by means all, of the varied and dynamic scientific activities that need to be components in the improvement and production of agriculturally Significant plants at a time when world populations are rapidly increasing and shortages of food occurring. In any case, the organizers of the symposium wisely decided that considerations of environment as well as of genetics should be introduced into the thinking of the group and that physiology and molecular biology could t be igred.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication14/06/2012
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleBasic Life Sciences
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note43 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight555 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byAdrian M. Srb
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1973
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.