All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.85Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
About this product
- DescriptionWinner of the 2017 JPBM Communications Award for Expository and Popular Books. A delightful meta-biography--playful indeed--of a brilliant icoclast. --James Gleick, author of The Information John Horton Conway is a singular mathematician with a lovely loopy brain. He is Archimedes, Mick Jagger, Salvador Dali, and Richard Feynman all rolled into one--he boasts a rock star's charisma, a slyly bent sense of humor, a polymath's promiscuous curiosity, and an insatiable compulsion to explain everything about the world to everyone in it. At Cambridge, Conway wrestled with Monstrous Moonshine, discovered the aptly named surreal numbers, and invented the cult classic Game of Life--more than just a cool fad, Life demonstrates how simplicity generates complexity and provides an analogy for mathematics and the entire universe. As a mathemagician at Princeton, he used ropes, dice, pennies, coat hangers, even the occasional Slinky, as props to extend his winning imagination and share his many nerdish delights. He granted Roberts full access to his idiosyncrasies and intellect both, though t without the occasional grumble: Oh hell, he'd say. You're t going to put that in the book. Are you?!?
- Author BiographySiobhan Roberts is a National Magazine Award-winning science writer, based in Toronto. While writing this book, she was a Director's Visitor at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton and a Fellow at the Leon Levy Center for Biography at the CUNY Graduate Center in New York. Her first book, King of Infinite Space, won the Mathematical Association of America's Euler Prize for expanding the public's view of mathematics.
- Author(s)Siobhan Roberts
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing Plc
- Date of Publication15/12/2016
- SubjectBiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing Plc
- Content Noteblack & white art throughout
- Weight495 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine38 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.