About this product
- DescriptionExploit the advantages of Geographic Information Systems in your business Once the domain of cartographers and other specialists, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) are increasingly being employed by the business community. Location-based services, supply chain management, management of field-distributed equipment, geographical marketing and promotion, and the spatial web are some of the current business applications which make use of GIS principles. Written specifically for the businessperson, Geo-Business: GIS in the Digital Organization is the first book to provide comprehensive coverage of GIS applications in the business and organizational environment. Going beyond a strictly geographical focus, this book sets GIS in the context of business information systems and other business sub-disciplines such as logistics, marketing, finance, and strategic management. It presents from an organizational perspective the advantages of spatially enabling existing enterprise systems and illustrates how GIS is applied in the real world through rigorous case study analyses of twenty companies, including Baystate Health, Chico's, Kaiser Permanente, Lamar Advertising Company, Rand McNally, Southern Company, Sears Roebuck, and Sperry Van Ness. In this book, you'll find out: What GIS is and how it can be integrated into your organization's existing information infrastructure. How GIS is currently making businesses better, and how you can apply the same techniques to your industry or organization. The expanding roles of GIS and spatial techlogies in the web and mobile environments. The ethical, legal, and security issues of special techlogies How to conduct a cost/benefit and ROI analyses for GIS. Grounded in the real world of business and IT, Geo-Business will show you how spatially enabling your IT systems can give you a unique advantage to beat your competitors in the market, win and retain customers, grow your business, make better decisions, develop new products and services, and optimize your workflow.
- Author BiographyJames B. Pick is Professor of Business at the University of Redlands, California, where he served as Chair of the Department of Management and Business and the School of Business School Faculty Assembly. He holds a BA from Northwestern University and PhD from University of California, Irvine. He has published?ten books, including Mexico Megacity, Exploring the Urban Community: A GIS Approach, and Geographic Information Systems in Business, and over 100 peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, and papers. He has received numerous grants and awards, including a Fulbright Senior Scholar Award for Mexico, and faculty awards for outstanding research and teaching.
- Author(s)James B. Pick,Julian J. Ray
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication08/02/2008
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight752 g
- Width159 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.37Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.26Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.49Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.58Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.