All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
About this product
- DescriptionThe biography of a remarkable New Zealander, G.T. (Geoffrey) Alley, who was our first National Librarian, between 1964 and 1967, after many years as Director of the National Library Service. This is a full personal biography, which includes important material on the Alley family - including older brother Rewi Alley, of China fame - and Geoffrey Alley's rugby career, during which represented Southland during a farming stint in the early 1920s, and was an All Black between 1926 and 1928, playing 19 matches. The central part of the book traces the development of New Zealand's national library system, from the intervention of the Carnegie Corporation in the 1930s to the establishment of the National Library of New Zealand, under Alley as the first national librarian, in the 1960s; from the beginning of Alley's career running the WEA 'box scheme' in Canterbury initiated by Professor James Shelley at the beginning of the 1930s, through the establishment of the Country Library Service, headed by Alley, the School Library Service, wartime library services, a national library school and the National Library Centre. Other significant figures, such as Shelley, Archie Dunningham, John Harris, Stuart Perry and Graham Bagnall receive due attention. It is also a major work of public history, recording how the present library networks in this country evolved in their social and political contexts. Published with the support of the G.T. Alley Trust and the National Library Society members.
- Author BiographyW. J. McEldowney worked as a librarian at the New Zealand National Library Service and the University of Otago Library for more than 40 years.
- Author(s)W.J. McEldowney
- PublisherVictoria University Press
- Date of Publication02/10/2006
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationWellington
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintVictoria University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight944 g
- Width153 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine38 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.