All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $16.66Trending at AU $30.84
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $32.98Trending at AU $39.85
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
About this product
- DescriptionSydney Cannings and Richard Cannings tell the story of the province's geology and the history of its living creatures. Starting 200 million years ago, when there was British Columbia west of the present Rocky Mountains, the authors take us on a journey through time, describing the collisions of island chains called terranes, the sliding of plates, the erupting of volcas, and the movement of glaciers that created British Columbia as we kw it today. They also describe the rich legacy of fossils left behind as a result of all this geological activity. This updated edition has been extensively revised to reflect the current thinking about plate tectonics and the geological history of British Columbia. There are also seven new maps and a number of new photographs. An appendix lists the various types of rock in British Columbia.
- Author BiographySydney Cannings is a zoologist working on endangered species for the provincial government in Victoria, British Columbia. Richard Cannings works as a consulting biologist assessing endangered species and organizing broad-scale bird population surveys, among other projects. He is the author of The Rockies: A Natural History, and, with Sydney Cannings, British Columbia: A Natural History and The B.C. Roadside Naturalist. He lives in Penticton, British Columbia. JoAnne Nelson worked for eight years as a geologist for various exploration companies based in Vancouver and taught at the University of British Columbia. Later, she joined the British Columbia Geological Survey as a bedrock and metallic minerals mapping specialist. JoAnne is currently the lead BC Geological Survey geologist in a major project called Edges, which aims to study the origins and evolution of the Cordilleran mountain chain.
- Author(s)JoAnne Nelson,Richard Cannings,Sydney G. Cannings
- PublisherGreystone Books,Canada
- Date of Publication11/08/2011
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintGreystone Books,Canada
- Content Note30 color photos, 18 maps
- Weight428 g
- Width149 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.