All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionReading George Eliot as a European velist among other European velists, John Rignall explores her use of European travel, scenes and locations in her fiction and also places her vels in conversation with the work of other major European writers. Throughout the book, Rignall shows Eliot's engagement with the cultures of France and Germany, suggestively making the case that Eliot's vels belong to the tradition of the European vel that descends from Cervantes. Rignall develops the fundamental theme of Eliot's position as a European velist in chapters that explore the significance of Eliot's first visit to Germany with G. H. Lewes, Eliot's ideas on the cultural differences between French and German writing, the incidental part travel plays in vels such as Daniel Deronda and Middlemarch, the role of European landscapes in her fiction, the dialogical relationship between Eliot and Balzac, comparisons between Middlemarch and Flaubert's Madame Bovary, and connections between the vels of Eliot, Gottfried Keller and Theodor Fontane. Daniel Deronda is examined both within the wider context of European Jewish life and as part of a tradition of French vels that harkens back to Balzac and anticipates Proust. Rignall's final chapter takes up Nietzsche's torious criticism of Eliot in Twilight of the Idols, showing that Eliot, with her sceptical intelligence, insight into the essentially metaphorical nature of language, and grasp of modernity, has something in common with this philosophical icoclast.
- Author BiographyJohn Rignall is Emeritus Reader at the University of Warwick and the editor of George Eliot and Europe (1997) and the Oxford Reader's Companion to George Eliot (2000).
- Author(s)John Rignall
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/07/2011
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Weight530 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Series Edited byProfessor Vincent Newey,Joanne Shattock
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.10
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.