Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $45.53Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $12.34Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWINNER OF THE GEORGE WASHINGTON BOOK PRIZE 2013. 'I am a warrior'. These were the uncompromising words that George Washington chose to describe himself in May 1779, at the height of the Revolutionary War against Britain. It's an image very different to the one that he's been assigned by posterity - the patriotic plantation owner who would become the dignified political leader of his country. Stephen Brumwell's new book focuses on a side of Washington that is often overlooked: the feisty young frontier officer and the tough forty-something commander of the revolutionaries' Continental Army. It examines Washington's long and chequered military career, tracing his evolution as a soldier, and his changing attitude to the waging of war. Brumwell shows how, ironically, Washington's reliance upon English models of 'gentlemanly' behaviour, and on British military organisation, was crucial in establishing his leadership of the fledgling Continental Army, and in forging it into the weapon that won American independence. George Washington is a vivid recounting of the formative years and military career of 'The Father of his Country', following his journey from brutal border skirmishes with the French and their Indian allies to his remarkable victory over the British Empire, an achievement that underpinned his selection as the first president of the United States of America. Drawing on a wide range of sources, including original archival research, Stephen Brumwell paints a compelling and challenging portrait of an extraordinary individual whose fusion of gentleman and warrior left an indelible imprint upon history.
- Author BiographyDr Stephen Brumwell is an award-winning freelance writer and independent historian based in Amsterdam. After gaining a First in History, Brumwell was awarded British Academy funding to research eighteenth-century North America. His doctoral dissertation was published as Redcoats: The British Soldier and War in the Americas 1755-63. Brumwell has since published White Devil: A True Story of Savagery, War and Vengeance in Colonial America and Paths of Glory: The Life and Death of General James Wolfe.
- PrizesWinner of George Washington Book Prize 2013.
- Author(s)Stephen Brumwell
- PublisherQuercus Publishing
- Date of Publication07/06/2012
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintQuercus Publishing
- Content Note8pp colour plates
- Weight800 g
- Width163 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine44 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $21.73Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.18Trending at AU $35.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.