Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
About this product
- DescriptionGerman-speaking Europe is an array of images that have emerged from varied discourses about itself and its neighbors, and Germany and the Imagined East revolves around the exchange of views on and in the vast construct called the East. The world has been divided conceptually in countless ways, but the works in this volume treat aspects of Germany as both part of and also separate from any perception of an eastern border. From the former German Democratic Republic, East Germany, to Osterreich-whose name loses its eastern association in the English version, Austria,-the East begins within the very world of the German language. But it is also the expanse off to the right of Germany, within which essays in this collection treat such political and cultural distinctions as former Yugoslavia, Romania and Russia in Eastern Europe, or Turkey and Persia in the Near East, spreading through India to China and Japan in the Far East. With a variety of perspectives on literature, film, philosophy, architecture, music and history, these essays comprise a multidisciplinary collage that invites scholars from all departments to explore the wealth of insights German Studies has to offer on East-West relations.
- Author BiographyLee M. Roberts completed a dissertation on the concept of national spirit in German and Japanese literature in 2005 at the University of California, Berkeley. He has accepted a position as Assistant Professor in the Department of International Language and Culture Studies at Indiana University/Purdue University, Fort Wayne.
- PublisherCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Date of Publication30/01/2006
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNewcastle upon Tyne
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width148 mm
- Height212 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byLee M. Roberts
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
- Edition Statement1st Unabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.