All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $32.08
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $33.00
About this product
- DescriptionBattling a new generation of corporate giants and uncovering threats right in our own backyard, Kenneth King's Germs Gone Wild reveals the massive expansion of America's bio-defense research labs and the culture of deception surrounding hundreds of facilities that have opened since 9/11. King experienced the menace of bio-defense research firsthand when local government and business leaders tried to lure a new facility to his hometown in Kentucky. Researching the safety claims, he t only found many of them to be completely false, but was also horrified by the lack of oversight and the recklessness with which these labs genetically modified pathogens like smallpox, Ebola, and influenza without a care for what happened to the public if there was ever a leak. And yet the greed that drove the development of these labs has effectively counteracted any cautionary checks by the government and universities. All have been seduced by the ecomic gains and corporate stipends that come with compliance and turning a blind eye. But w, the reality of these labs and the germs they manipulate will finally be brought to light, as King examines the controversies surrounding plants from Maryland to Boston and Utah, to the Department of Homeland Security's dubious National Bio-and-Agro-Facility (NBAF) project, and the precautions-or lack thereof-being taken to protect us all from a deadly pandemic.
- Author BiographyKenneth King holds a Ph.D. from the University of Nebraska and a JD from Vanderbilt School of law. King teaches at Western Kentucky University.
- Author(s)Kenneth King
- PublisherPegasus Books
- Date of Publication15/12/2011
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPegasus Books
- Out-of-print date06/03/2016
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight510 g
- Width145 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine35 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.