All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGerontological Practice for the Twenty-first Century meets the need for state-of-the-art information on practice approaches with older patients that are age-specific and empirically based, blend micro and macro views, and reflect current themes in the aging and social work fields. The book is designed as a text for students and as a professional resource for practitioners. Clearly written, the book offers an expert and comprehensive review of the current literature and focuses on issues relating to the most vulnerable older people. Gerontological Practice for the Twenty-first Century also features case illustrations throughout and brief end-of-chapter questions for review. The book has four parts. Part 1 reviews current and classic theories of aging and proposes an original framework for an integrative approach to practice with older people that incorporates both individual and policy-level interventions. The approach is based on current themes such as a life course perspective, heterogeneity, diversity, and inequality. Part 2 covers such common and important psychological problems among older individuals, as anxiety, depression, suicide, substance abuse, and dementia, and describes appropriate, evidence-based interventions. Part 3 considers the social psychological picture by discussing working with older families, end-of-life care, bereavement, and work and retirement. Part 4 focuses on core sociopolitical issues in the lives of older people: ecomic policy, poverty, health policy, quality-of-life concerns, and social services. Current, authoritative, and original, this single-volume gerontology resource will be of valuable use to graduate students and practitioners.
- Author BiographyVirginia E. Richardson is a professor at the Ohio State University College of Social Work. She is the author or coauthor of several books, including Retirement Counseling: A Handbook for Gerontology Practitioners.Amanda S. Barusch is a professor at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand. She is the author of several books, including Foundations of Social Policy: Social Justice in Human Perspective.
- Author(s)Amanda S. Barusch,Virginia E. Richardson
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication22/02/2008
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleEnd of Life Care: A Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight681 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.55
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $36.19Trending at AU $37.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.