All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt the outset of summer in 1990, a Houston gangsta rap group called the Geto Boys was poised to debut its self-titled third album under the guidance of hip-hop guru Rick Rubin. What might have been a low-profile remix release from a little-kwn corner of the rap universe began to make headlines when the album's distributor refused to work with the group, citing its violent and depraved lyrics. When The Geto Boys was finally released, chain stores refused to stock it, concert promoters canceled the group's performances, and veteran rock critic Robert Christgau declared the group sick motherfuckers. One quarter of a century later the album is considered a hardcore classic, having left an immutable influence on gangsta rap, horrorcore, and the rise of Southern hip-hop. Charting the rise of the Geto Boys from the earliest days of Houston's rap scene, Rolf Potts documents a moment in music history when hip-hop was beginning to replace rock as the transgressive sound of American youth. In creating an album that was both sonically invative and unprecedentedly vulgar, the Geto Boys were accomplishing something that went beyond music. To paraphrase a sentiment from Don DeLillo, this group of young men from Houston's Fifth Ward ghetto had figured out the language of being ticed - which is, in the end, the only language America understands.
- Author BiographyRolf Potts has traveled around the world, from Fifth Ward to the Falkland Islands, reporting for the likes of Slate, the New Yorker, and SI.com.
- Author(s)Rolf Potts
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing Plc
- Date of Publication19/05/2016
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series Title33 1/3
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic USA
- Weight150 g
- Width120 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.