All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionSplendidly written and dramatically illustrated, Gettysburg to Vicksburg is a stunning pictorial history of the first five Civil War battlefield parks: Gettysburg, Shiloh, Antietam, Vicksburg, and Chickamauga. Rewned photographer A. J. Meek brings the battlefield parks into vivid focus with more than one hundred memorable photographs, while ted Civil War historian Herman Hattaway provides a brief history of these major battles and of the formation of parks on the battlefield grounds. Through his striking photographs, Meek provides inspired glimpses of personal vision and historical significance, guiding the reader through the settings for the battle narratives. He also shows how the battlefield grounds are different today, as trees and grass cover hills and former breastworks. Hattaway provides critical insight into the personalities and achievements of military leaders on both sides. He also offers extensive descriptions of the events that took place before, during, and after each battle, explaining the significance of each encounter within the larger conflict between the Union and Confederate armies. In addition, he describes what happened to the battlefield areas long after the fighting ended, as the government, veterans, and private organizations wrestled over how the actual grounds - and in some sense, the memory of the soldiers - should be preserved. Much more than a handbook, Gettysburg to Vicksburg is one of the most comprehensive resources available to battlefield park visitors. With Meek and Hattaway's help, visitors will, at long last, be able to understand fully just exactly what they are seeing. This important new work will make a significant addition to Civil War scholarship and will be welcomed by scholars, students, and Civil War enthusiasts alike.
- Author BiographyA. J. Meek is Professor of Art at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. His photographs have appeared worldwide in numerous exhibits and collections, and he is the photographer for several books, including Gardens of Louisiana; Places of Work and Wonder. Herman Hattaway is Professor of History at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. He is the author or coauthor of numerous books, including Shades of Blue and Gray: An Introductory Military History of the Civil War (University of Missouri Press), Why the South Lost the Civil War, and General Stephen D. Lee, all past selections of the History Book Club.
- Author(s)A. J. Meek,Herman Hattaway
- PublisherUniversity of Missouri Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2001
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleShades of Blue and Gray
- Place of PublicationMissouri
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Missouri Press
- Content Note100 illustrations
- Weight816 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.