All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a lavishly illustrated biography of the great printer Bodoni, vividly describing his work, life, and times while justifying his reputation as the prince of typographers. This is the first English-language biography of the incomparably talented printer Giambattista Bodoni (1740-1813). Born to a printing family in the small Italian town of Saluzzo, he left his comfortable life to travel to Rome in 1758 where he served as an apprentice of Cardinal Spinelli at the Propaganda Fide press. There, under the sponsorship of Ruggieri, his close friend, mentor, and protector, he learned all aspects of the printing craft. Even then, his real talent, indeed his genius, lay in type design and punchcutting, especially of the exotic foreign alphabets needed by the papal office. His life changed in 1768 at age 28 when he was invited by the young Duke of Parma to abandon Rome for that eponymous city to establish and direct the ducal press. He remained in Parma, overseeing a vast diversity of printing - all of it making use of typefaces he designed and engraved. This book goes beyond Bodoni's capacity as a printer; it examines the life and times in which he lived, the turbulent and always fragile political climate, and the fascinating cast of characters. Intriguing, scholarly, visually arresting, and designed and printed to Bodoni's standards, this title belongs on the shelf of any self-respecting bibliophile.
- Author BiographyValerie Browne Lester is an independent scholar, writer, and translator. She is the author of Phiz: The Man Who Drew Dickens (2004), a biography of Hablot Knight Browne, Dickens's principal illustrator who was also her great-great-grandfather.
- Author(s)Valerie Brown Lester
- PublisherDavid R. Godine Publisher Inc
- Date of Publication26/11/2015
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDavid R. Godine Publisher Inc
- Content Noteillustrations throughout
- Weight1043 g
- Width222 mm
- Height298 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.