All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $32.13
- AU $74.99Trending at AU $77.01
- AU $12.53Trending at AU $13.05
- AU $46.02Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $49.82
- AU $28.95Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $12.16Trending at AU $14.05
About this product
- DescriptionA mid-thirties bachelor living in a rooming house in Winnipeg, Manitoba, begins a relationship with the children of the house's female caretaker. Eventually becoming a father figure and second husband, his life begins to fundamentally change the lives of those around him for the better. A heartfelt tribute to the bility of the everyman in modern society, Brian Borgford's work of creative nfiction tells the story of his father, a man who was able to craft a new dream from the tattered remnants of those he left behind. A thirty-five year-old bachelor living in a rooming house in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Gil has the unenviable job of being a union organizer in 1947. Those facts all rolled together create a dull, isolated life that is far removed from the dreams of success and family that Gil has always had for himself. But when Mary and her six children move into the building, that one fateful ripple in the humdrum of Gil's life changes everything he knew-or thought he knew-about his life's direction. Developing a sense of responsibility and ownership of this family due to the father's relative absence and philandering, Gil becomes involved in their day-to-day life in a meaningful way. His career begins to evolve as well as he starts to impact the lives of those involved in the union movement. And while his flaws and failings are evident, so too are his strengths and gifts, and before long he is able to craft a life that t long before he had all but given up on as a possibility. Exploring the triumphs and tragedies that provide life with meaning, author Brian Borgford's debut is about family, fatherhood, and the personal relationships that give us hope. It is an ode to a less complicated time-and a tribute to a man whose simple gifts were perhaps deeper and more profound than even he realized. Preserving a time and place with care and reverence, Gil follows the lives of ordinary people dealing with the cards they are dealt-and finding dreams along the way.
- Author BiographyBrian Borgford was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, in 1951 and is the only natural son of the titular character Gil. Throughout his adult life as a businessman, teacher, and now writer, Brian has kept alive the memory of his father, who passed away in 1980 at the age of sixty-eight. At the time he wrote this book, Borgford was living in Qatar.
- Author(s)Brian Borgford
- Date of Publication24/06/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight231 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.