All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGiovanni Battista Pergolesi (1710-1736) achieved very limited success in his brief lifetime. He died indigent at the age of 26 in a Capuchin monastery near Naples and was buried in a pauper's grave. Within a few years of his death, however, with revivals of his works in Rome, Naples, Dresden and Munich, his reputation soared and his fame spread through all Europe.Pergolesi's importance and popularity today rest largely on his operas and sacred music particularly on the <i>Stabat Mater</i>, his last and what many consider his greatest work. A setting for sopra, alto and stringsof a medieval Latin poem about the sorrows of the Virgin Mary at Christ's crucifixion, the <i>Stabat Mater</i> is music of transcendent beauty and poignancy. Long a staple of the repertoire, this Italian Baroque masterpiece is an essential work for students and performers of choral music. They, and all lovers of fine music, will welcome this inexpensive, authoritative edition.
- Author(s)Giovanni Battista Pergolesi
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication16/05/1997
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight240 g
- Width212 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine6 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.