All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.24Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
About this product
- DescriptionIn an age when children are more likely to be mesmerized by electronics than roused to catch night crawlers in the cemetery, Girl Under Construction recaptures, through the incent eyes of a five year old, the hands-on life of the 1930s. This creative nfiction memoir offers readers the charming view of a portion of a life-namely, the author's adventure-filled childhood and inspiring relationship with her grandfather, kwn throughout the story as Grampa. In palpable detail, Joyce Ward recounts the struggles and triumphs of that delicate age, when she was unkwingly building the foundation of the woman she would one day become. Despite a home with a heavy-drinking father and a self-absorbed mother, Ward was always able to find a friend and confidant in Grampa, a hard-working and tough-talking character who did his best to keep her out of harm's way. Against all odds, Grampa worked his way out of the blackened tunnels of the coalmines and into the blue skies and fresh air of his own fishing business at Lake Erie. This determined mentality made an unmistakable impression on young Ward, who would do just about anything to stay by his side and learn his skills. This artfully told story also puts a name and a voice to many historic Pennsylvania events, from the Kinloch coalmine disaster in Parnassus, to the St, Patrick's Day flood of the Allegheny, to life on Ferncliffe Beach on the shores of Lake Erie. The authentic first-hand account of life during the Great Depression makes the story a must-read for any history buff. A hilarious and heartfelt story demonstrating the importance of early childhood experiences, Girl Under Construction is an exploration of the crucial bond between a grandparent and grandchild. While reading about Grampa's fresh baked bread, Calliope the parrot, seafaring stories, and experiencing a whole rainbow of other emotions and events, readers may find themselves reaching for their own early memories, regardless of age or generation.
- Author BiographyA mother of three and grandmother of nine, Joyce Ward delights in family and is captivated by the way character is passed down from one generation to the next. She hopes her story will delight parents and grandparents and inspire them to pass on their stories and create hands-on adventures for their children and grandchildren. When her grandson asked What's a nightcrawler? she knew she was on the right track. In Girl Under Construction, she shares her vivid memories of a different time-when curious children got their hands dirty and skinned their knees on their way to self-reliance. A native of Pennsylvania, the lure of the West drew Joyce to California where she lives, writes, enjoys sand in her toes, and paints with her artist husband.
- Author(s)Joyce Ward
- Date of Publication13/12/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight281 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.