All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.36Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionGender-based violence (GBV) affects women throughout their lives and occurs in different forms including physical, psychological, sexual and ecomic abuse. GBV has a diverse impact on women and may result in homicides, suicides, and many adverse health problems. It occurs as a result of gender roles and cultural rms, which influence the expression of violence within intimate relationships. In Palestinian society such violence is about exertion of control and a sanctioned way of life, a way of life that is legitimized by religion and culture. The level of violence experienced is heightened by the on-going violent conflict in Palestine, which adds to the level of violence against women due to increased feelings of despair, loss of control and emasculation among Palestinian men. Regardless of their age, religion or social ecomic status, Palestinian women are rarely heard. They have loud voices and they are outspoken; yet the culture requires that they are t to be seen or heard outside the confines of the home. This book, a collection of voices of Palestinian women victimized both by the ongoing violent conflict and at the hands of their husbands, is intended to redress this balance.
- Author BiographyJamileh Abu-Duhou was born the Occupied Palestinian Territories and educated in the United Kingdom and Australia. A medical anthropologist and a women's rights activist, her published work includes Domestic Violence in the Palestinian Context: Prevalence and Causes (in Arabic) and 'Motherhood as a Script for Nationhood' in Reproduction, Childbearing and Motherhood: A Cross-Cultural Perspective.
- Author(s)Jamileh Abu-Duhou
- PublisherBerkshire Academic Press
- Date of Publication30/06/2011
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationHighclere
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerkshire Academic Press
- Weight538 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.