Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionGlimpses of Oneida Life is a remarkable compilation of modern stories of community life at the Oneida Nation of the Thames Settlement and the surrounding area. With topics ranging from work experiences and Oneida customs to pranks, humorous encounters, and ghost stories, these fifty-two unscripted narrations and conversations in Oneida represent a rare collection of first-hand Iroquoian reflections on aspects of daily life and culture t found in print elsewhere. Each text is presented in Oneida with both an interlinear, word-by-word translation and a more colloquial translation in English. The book also contains a grammatical sketch of the Oneida language by Karin Michelson, co-author of the Oneida-English/English-Oneida Dictionary, that describes how words are structured and combined into larger linguistic structures, thus allowing Glimpses to be used as a teaching text as well. The engrossing tales in Glimpses of Oneida Life will be a valuable resource for linguists and language learners, a useful source for those studying the history and culture of Iroquois people in the twentieth-century, and an entertaining read for anyone interested in everyday First Nations life in southern Ontario.
- Author BiographyKarin Michelson is a professor in the Department of Linguistics at the University at Buffalo. Norma Kennedy has taught the Oneida language in New York and Ontario for more than twenty-five years. She is a master speaker at the Oneida Language and Cultural Center at the Oneida Nation of the Thames. Mercy Doxtator (1936-2005) taught the Oneida language for almost twenty-five years at the Oneida Nation of the Thames, where she was the founder and director of the Oneida Language and Cultural Center.
- Author(s)Karin Michelson,Mercy A. Doxtator,Norma Kennedy
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication18/03/2016
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note2, 2 maps
- Weight1060 g
- Width190 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.