All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $29.32Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.12Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionGlobal Complexity is a path--breaking book, which examines how the ideas of chaos and complexity can help us to analyse global processes. Urry argues that there are major advantages in thinking about global processes in this way. The idea of complexity emphasizes that systems are balanced between order and chaos, that a system does t necessarily move towards equilibrium and that events are both unpredictable and irreversible in their effects. Hence specific events can have unexpected effects, often distant in time and space from where they occurred. This book combines new theory with many illustrations of how global processes operate. Urry distinguishes between a global networksa and a global fluidsa , and shows how forms of global emergence develop from the complex relationships between these networks and fluids. He draws out the implications of global complexity for our understanding of social order and argues that complexity requires us to reformulate the main categories of sociology and to reject any globalization thesis that is over--unified, dominant and unambiguous in its effects. Global systems are always a on the edge of chaosa . This book will be of particular interest to students and scholars of sociology, politics, geography and ecomics and to and to all those concerned with rethinking the nature of globalization.
- Author BiographyJohn Urry is Professor of Sociology at Lancaster University and is the author of The End of Organized Capitalism and Sociology Beyond Societies.
- Author(s)Professor John Urry
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication25/11/2002
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight443 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.