All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRoutledge English Language Introductions cover core areas of language study and are one-stop resources for students. Assuming prior kwledge, books in the series offer an accessible overview of the subject, with activities, study questions, sample analyses, commentaries, and key readings - all in the same volume. The invative and flexible 'two-dimensional' structure is built around four sections - introduction, development, exploration, and extension - which offer self-contained stages for study. Each topic can also be read across these sections, enabling the reader to build gradually on the kwledge gained. Global Englishes, Third Edition, previously published as World Englishes, has been comprehensively revised and updated and provides an introduction to the subject that is both accessible and comprehensive. Key features of this best-selling textbook include: * coverage of the major historical, linguistic, and sociopolitical developments in the English language from the start of the seventeenth century to the present day * exploration of the current debates in global Englishes, relating to its uses as mother tongue in the US, UK, Antipodes, and post-colonial language in Africa, South and Southeast Asia, and lingua franca across the rest of the globe, with a new and particularly strong emphasis on China * a range of texts, data and examples draw from emails, tweets and newspapers such as The New York Times, China Daily and The Straits Times * readings from key scholars including Alastair Pennycook, Henry G. Widdowson and Lesley Milroy * activities that engage the reader by inviting them to draw on their own experience and consider their orientation to the particular topic in hand. Global Englishes, Third Edition provides a dynamic and engaging introduction to this fascinating topic and is essential reading for all students studying global Englishes, English as a lingua franca, and the spread of English in the world today.
- Author BiographyJennifer Jenkins is Professor of Global Englishes and founding director of the Centre for Global Englishes at the University of Southampton.
- Author(s)Jennifer Jenkins
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication14/08/2014
- Series TitleRoutledge English Language Introductions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note6 black & white tables
- Weight498 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.10
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.