All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.32Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionAustralia is currently the second largest exporter of raw sugar after Brazil, and one of the world's top five sugar exporters. This book tells the story of how the Australian cane sugar industry grew into a major global supplier of sugar, how it became a significant invator in the techlogy associated with the growing and harvesting of sugar cane as well as the production and transport of sugar. It describes the spread of sugar cane growing along the rth-eastern coast of Australia during the late nineteenth century, and how subsequent twentieth-century expansions were tightly regulated in order to avoid overproduction. It examines changes in agricultural techniques, efforts to combat pests and diseases, breeding new cane varieties and the significance of improvements in the sugar milling and refining processes. Special attention is also devoted to documenting how sugar production changed the landscape of rth-eastern coastal Australia. Topics considered include deforestation, soil erosion, loss of wetlands associated with drainage improvements, the introduction of fauna to control insect pests affecting the crops of sugar cane and mining the coral of the Great Barrier Reef to produce agricultural lime. It is the first comprehensive account of the history of the Australian cane sugar industry.
- Author BiographyPeter D. Griggs is a historical geographer with an interest in agriculture and environmental history. Since 2000, he has been senior lecturer in human geography at the Cairns Campus of James Cook University, Queensland, Australia. He has published extensively on the Australian cane sugar industry.
- Author(s)Peter D. Griggs
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication11/05/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Note99, ill., tables and graphs
- Weight1650 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.