Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
About this product
- DescriptionA new generation of truly global sociology, grappling with the contemporary world through the lenses of critique, contestation, and social movements. A significant contribution. - Goran Therborn, University of Cambridge This is a truly global and politically challenging book, bringing together top level researchers and sharply tackling its themes. People from every corner of the planet and from all walks in the social sciences will surely profit from reading it. - Carolina Mera, University of Bues Aires How can we link contemporary social processes - which have typically been theorized in terms of the concept of modernity - with contemporary social movements, conflicts, and mobilizations which aim at social change? This text: *links the social theory of modernity to critical theory and to recent class and citizenship politics as well as to identity politics *uses concrete social processes to illustrate theoretical discussion with relevant empirical studies and applies theoretical analysis to different interactions, tensions and possibilities to provide an integrated understanding of global modernity and social contestation *includes contributions from distinguished international scholars working in sociological theory and modernity, as well as social movement studies and political contestation, with a strong emphasis on global issues This is a key resource for research in both social theory and the sociology of modernity, as well as social movements and social contestation, and readers interested in globalization and global studies.
- Author BiographyBreno Bringel holds a PhD at the Faculty of Political Science and Sociology at the University Complutense of Madrid (Spain), where he has also taught. He was also previously a visiting scholar in several universities in Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, France, Spain, Switzerland and the UK. He currently teaches at the Institute of Social and Political Studies at the Rio de Janeiro State University (IESP-UERJ), Brazil. He is member of the Board of the International Sociological Association Research Committee on Social Classes and Social Movements (RC-47) and editor in chief of Dados - Revista de Ciencias Sociais. Bringel is author of several works in Portuguese, Spanish, French and English on social movements, internationalism and Latin American politics and society. His latest books are: Movimentos sociais na era global (edited with Maria da Gloria Gohn, Rio de Janeiro: Vozes, 2012) and O MST e o internacionalismo contemporaneo (Rio de Janeiro: Eduerj, 2014). Jose Mauricio Domingues obtained a PhD in Sociology from the London School of Economics and Political Science. He was previously a visiting scholar in several universities, in Argentina, Britain, Chile, Colombia, Germany, Israel, Mexico and Spain. He currently teaches at the Institute of Social and Political Studies at the Rio de Janeiro State University (IESP-UERJ), Brazil. Domingues is a member of the board of ISA RC16 (Sociological Theory) and ISA WG02 (Historical and Comparative Sociology). He is also author of several books on sociological theory and modernity, including: Global Modernity, Development, and Contemporary Civilization: towards a Renewal of Critical Theory (New York/London: Routledge, 2012); Latin American and Contemporary Modernity: a Sociological Interpretation (New York/London: Routledge, 2008); Modernity Reconstructed (Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 2006); Social Creativity, Collective Subjectivity and Contemporary Modernity (Basingstoke: Macmillan Press and New York: Saint Martin's Press/Palgrave, 2000) and Sociological Theory and Collective Subjectivity (Basingstoke: Macmillan Press and New York: Saint Martin's Press/Palgrave, 2000) .
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication19/01/2015
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleSage Studies in International Sociology
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight553 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byBreno M. Bringel,Jose Mauricio Domingues
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.