Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionGlobalisation has had a massive impact on the teaching and practice of anthropology. This important new book, edited by leading anthropologist Thomas Hylland Eriksen, addresses the methodological problems that these changes have wrought, and in doing so fills a major gap in the contemporary study and teaching of anthropology. The essays in this book show how the focus has shifted from traditional studies of specific sites, towards the movements and shifts assoicated with increasing migration and population flows -- the result of living in an increasingly globalised world. Written by a range of distinguished anthropologists, it offers invative new approaches to the discipline in the light of these changes, making it indispensable as a teaching text, at higher levels, and as mandatory reading for practitioners and researchers in a wide range of merging disciplines. Topics explored include the methodology of studying on the internet; global and spatial identities in the Caribbean; shifting boundaries in coastal communities; the anthropology of political life; issues of law and the flow of human substances; and the diffusion of moral values created by globalisation.
- Author BiographyThomas Hylland Eriksen is Professor of Social Anthropology at the University of Oslo and currently President of the European Association of Social Anthropologists (EASA). He is the author of numerous books, including Ethnicity and Nationalism, A History of Anthropology, Small Places, Large Issues, Tyranny of the Moment, What is Anthropology? and Fredrik Barth, all available from Pluto Press.
- PublisherPluto Press
- Date of Publication24/06/2003
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleAnthropology, Culture and Society
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPluto Press
- Weight463 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byThomas Hylland Eriksen
- Format DetailsLibrary binding
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.