All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor centuries, the Arabian Gulf has been a crossroads where seafaring people and Bedouins alike travelled great distances transacting business. Events of the past few years, both good and bad, have directed the world's attention to the Arabian Peninsula, where a rich cultural tradition is rapidly incorporating the latest invations from around the world. This is the process of globalization. New ecomies create ermous potential, but it will require great care for the people of the region to steer through a period of profound change. Political and ecomic interests intent on maintaining the flow of petroleum products on one hand, and people in the Gulf region who assess their won interests from quite a different perspective, on the other, exert pressures from conflicting directions. Reconciling these interests in a time of rapid globalization poses ermous challenges. This timely volume brings together the work of scholars from both the Middle East and the West who have the expertise to evaluate the interaction of new ideas, new techlogies and new ecomies. Brought together by the American University of Sharjah and the Sociological Association of the UAE, the contributors reflect on both the process of globalism and on the traditions of Gulf society and culture, offering views on how these trends interact within the global system.
- Author BiographyJohn W. Fox is Professor of Anthropology at the American University of Sharjah. Nada Mourtada-Sabbah is Associate Professor of Political Science and Chair of the Department of International Studies at the American University Sharjah. Mohammed Al Mutawa is Associate Professor of Sociology at the United Arab Emirates University.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication08/06/2006
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, 12 black & white tables, 2 black & white line drawings
- Weight476 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJohn W. Fox,Mohammed Al-Mutawa,Nada Mourtada-Sabbah
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.48
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $43.72Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $48.94
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.